Totally Awesome Blog Intro!

Welcome to The Roxx Blog! This is a blog created to share and discuss my journey as I write my book(s) and short stories with other writers, published and yet-to-be-published alike. I also want to share my love of science fiction and fantasy books and short stories with like-minded readers and writers. Those who stop by will hopefully leave with helpful ideas, tips, links and with luck, feeling entertained. And most of all, I hope my blog lets other writers know to keep at it and that there is a vast community out there which is friendly and supportive.

Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Architect? Gardener? Hybrid!

There are two types of writers (thank you google for that information). There are the architects who outline and detail everything before they start the story or until they have a story. The other type is the gardener, who just start writing and let the story grow, like a seed. But chances are anyone reading this already knows that.

During my research I found the lectures of Brandon Sanderson on YouTube and found a third type: the Hybrid! I originally considered myself firmly an architect, but then Brandon was explaining how he architects everything, except his characters, those he lets grow with the story. I don't think he used the word "hybrid", so that's totally mine, I'm copyrighting that awesomeness.

Anyways, that combination of the two types is close to how I prefer two structure things. I outline the hell out of everything, I could probably outline myself right into a complete novel without meaning to. I also create a character sheet for the majority of my characters of basic details. The character sheet look is obviously influenced from my Shadowrun/AD&D RPG days. From there I just flesh them out as it goes.

I've mostly completed my outline and began a draft. Right now I'm just working on getting all the scenes down from the outline, no dialogue or in-depth descriptions except when I think of something noteworthy to toss in to work in later. Once I get it all down, I will go back and flesh everything out.

When I take a break from outlining or writing, I have been working on a logo for the blog and content. So I dug up a few OLD stories I wrote in a another life time. I will be working to transfer those to the computer and get them uploaded for viewing (by the 4-6 people who stop by and for which I am of course grateful).

Until the next update!!

No comments:

Post a Comment