Totally Awesome Blog Intro!

Welcome to The Roxx Blog! This is a blog created to share and discuss my journey as I write my book(s) and short stories with other writers, published and yet-to-be-published alike. I also want to share my love of science fiction and fantasy books and short stories with like-minded readers and writers. Those who stop by will hopefully leave with helpful ideas, tips, links and with luck, feeling entertained. And most of all, I hope my blog lets other writers know to keep at it and that there is a vast community out there which is friendly and supportive.

Wednesday, August 5, 2015

So I'm writing a book...

I've decided to actively move forward with writing a book. Writing is something I've enjoyed for many, many years, but have not followed through with beyond a lackluster hobby.  I think this has stemmed from fear of not being good enough, not being confident in my ideas and abilities. This is absolutely ridiculous of course! Over the last few years I've read a few "bad" books and found myself thinking "I could totally have done that better!" and making little notes on how. The it donned on me, not every book is a best seller or Pulitzer prize winner and yet people are still buying these books, enjoying them, and encouraging the writers to release sequels or other novels.


So why not me? I have tons of ideas, many that have been working and growing for years in notes and thoughts. The problem now is how does all this work? How do I get started? Do I just start shoving words on paper (or typing in a doc)? How to I brand myself, get my name out there? Should I self-publish or find a publisher? How do I find out more information? Where to begin?


It's daunting and makes the head swim to consider all the questions and possible risks and obstacles. So I jumped right in and did the logical first step: I started Googling. If my head was swimming before, I think with that I shackled some concrete blocks to my ankles! There is so much information out, everyone is generous with how they did, how they craft their work, what they use, etc. And of course, no one has the same advice. So which advice would be right for me? Weeding through to find the ideas that work or resonate with my personality and work behavior has become the most time consuming task. Luckily, I found a handful of great authors that offer advice that works for me.


I love lists and make checklists of everything, so will likely include many in future blog posts, and I apologize for that beforehand. That said, I've taken the information I have garnered up to this point and made a sort-of to-do list of where to begin this insane journey.


More updates to follow! Along with a blog overhaul I think, eventually, soon? Maybe this month? I'll get to it.


Thanks for stopping by



1 comment:

  1. Check out, if you haven't already, +Jeff Goins and +James Altucher. They offer some, IMHO, great advice for the aspiring author.

    ReplyDelete